Mini Fixers

Restore Preserve Maintain

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Hi guys!

Chris(Apocalypse)

I just thought i would say hi, 

Ive been meaning to sign up to this website ever since you helped sobell house with the cotsworld mini run. My mum works for sobell house and has been speaking with a few off you. She praised your minis for looking a lot tidier than mine. Not that its hard to be :). 

I was just wondering If any off you could offer me some help restoring my clubman estate, Ive got to a stage where there isnt much left but theres the jobs i hate doing. 

So firstly the wiring. I was hoping that one of you may have a 1980s Clubman that i could have a look at and find out why my new loom isnt working. So help with the wiring is a must.

Secondly im going to need help lining the a panels up, But firstly i need some door hinges. so i can get the doors in and then play around. 

Lastly im going to need help spray painting it. lots of help and advice needed on this part. 

Many Thanks

Chris

September 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Wow - good pictures. Feel free to put them on the photos section here. our members would all be very interested. Some of us have been in a similar position.

We (Rob & Di) have several estates, you are welcome to have a look anytime.  Best if you could come to our club meeting at The Trout Inn Lechlade tonight (13 Sept) and we will be there with an estate.

--

One eye in the rear-view mirror, full speed into the curve, the engine running smoother than ever:lol:

September 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris(Apocalypse)

Aww thats a shame I will be working tonight otherwise i would love to come in the little mayfair! 

Chris

September 13, 2012 at 5:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

I agree with Rob - Get them photos in an album on the site. Impressed with your skill in a number of different disciplines (including weight-lifting:))

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

September 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris(Apocalypse)

Aww Thank you guys! I really am glad to hear that! Ive been posting on a thread in the mini forum and not really getting much appreciation and not getting replys to things im getting stuck on. I really am grateful. Will get the photos on there soon. I was wondering i was having a look at my mini. and realised i have an ignition relay in my loom but not on my clubman one. Now i may have made a mistake  in which one i bought. If you could post pictures of your clubman bulkhead and wings. (if your wires still run there) that would be great, 

September 14, 2012 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Credit where credit is due. Simple as that. Can't really help with the relay issue except to say if your other Mini is newer than the Clubman it may have a relay to operate the ignition circuit whereas older Minis did not. Do you have a wiring diagram as that wil identify relays if fitted? If you dont then try:

http://www.minimania.com/article/1362/Mini--Cooper-Wiring-Diagrams-On-line

--

September 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

I've just uploaded some pictures of the undebonnet wiring of our 1980 estate in the photos section. The colours are a bit incorrect as time has generally worn out several unprotected parts and I've had to cut pieces back and add in bits.

Your best bet is to follow the wiring diagram to the letter, making sure all connections are clean and secure. There are no relays in the standard setup for an Estate . I added one for the airhorns.

--

One eye in the rear-view mirror, full speed into the curve, the engine running smoother than ever:lol:

September 17, 2012 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

AIRHORNS? - You rebel !!!

--

September 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Ref - “The colours are a bit incorrect as time has generally worn out several unprotected parts and I've had to cut pieces back and add in bits.” -

reminds me of several years ago when Brother-in-law (BL mechanic) was called out to an 1100 at night in the dark in the rain near Didcot. It had stopped running and refused to restart. He deduced it was an electrical fault but on opening the bonnet he saw that some-one had re-wired the entire car with black wires; and I mean ONLY BLACK wires! Every single wire was black. Tracing the fault in the dark in the rain was impossible so he disconnected everything then wired in a permanent live to the ignition plus permanent lives to the headlights and to the wipers ie constantly on, started the car and told the driver to ensure he disconnected the battery when he got home.

--

September 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

Seeing all those lovely blue bullet crimp connectors made me check out Fleabay.... I bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320842020067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 great for retaining that vintage look

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

September 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris(Apocalypse)

Thanks guys. I got loads of those black bullets. I went saw my friend who runs Smith and Low they still sell them. I just still cant figure it out. Just started powder coating my cooper s steels. Can someone tell me how to get the hub bearings out of the hub and the new ones in. Ive lost all 3 haynes somehow!. 

September 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Tap them out with a drift about 1/4 inch dia. There should be a cutout in the centre between the beaings. Take note of what they look like on the hub and tap them in gently with plenty of grease. Make sure they are the correct way around.

--

September 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris(Apocalypse)

Thanks again Rob! Hopefully your wiring pictures will help! :) I accidentally made 3 albums of Crunchy as its now called. Remove two of them please. My computer had a mad fit! 

September 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Done

--

September 20, 2012 at 4:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris(Apocalypse)

Thanks Rob! 
You have all got an extra installment of photos that TMF have not got. The brackets and position of the fuse box. and last night i had a brilliant idea for a battery cut of. and the position if i can do it! 

September 20, 2012 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.