Mini Fixers

Restore Preserve Maintain

Forums

Forum Home > Members Minis > B407 SCJ Road Test Report.

Gary

Now that it is properly on the road I am gradually pushing the boundaries.

Very impressed with the engine -  pulls hard from 15mph in top and just keeps pulling. Seems to have no problem cruising at 85 (sorry officer - I meant 70!!) and that is nothing like flat out.

The tyres however (admittedly bought with the Weller wheels) are absolutely sh*t !!!!! I was going to use these as my road tyres and just to get to track days and then fit the Mercury alloys with decent track day tyres when I got to the circuit. I might have to rethink that plan as they really are atrocious.

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

August 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Need to replace the rev counter as above 3000rpm it oscillates between 1500 and 8000rpm! I am advised that the damper is shot.

Anyone got an MG1300 or MGB rev counter they want to sell me?

--

August 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Have cured the overheating problem. It appears the elec fan I fitted was just not up to the job. Have now fitted the original multi-bladed fan to the top pulley and to be honest it is now overcooled running half way between C and N when on the move and only rises to N when stationery.

--

August 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Need to get the suspension set up but there is no point whilst I have those sh*t tyres fitted

--

August 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Need to get me some ear plugs as RC40 plus no interior trim = ringing in the ears after any substantial run.

--

August 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Gary at August 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Need to get the suspension set up but there is no point whilst I have those sh*t tyres fitted

On the way back from the Cowley show I suffered from oversteer as the rear tyres just had no grip when pushed through a corner. Really disconcerting in a front wheel drive car! I reckon I could enter it in drift competitions. Definitely need to get some new rubber.

--

August 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan

Once all my mods are fitted im taking my Mini to Imperial tyres in Swindon on the Elgin industrial estate as they have the state of the art 4 wheel alignment system. Gonna cost me £65 plus vat to get her setup properly.

Brendan

April 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Brendan at April 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Once all my mods are fitted im taking my Mini to Imperial tyres in Swindon on the Elgin industrial estate as they have the state of the art 4 wheel alignment system. Gonna cost me £65 plus vat to get her setup properly.

Brendan

Brendan,

There is a "trick" suspension set-up for improved handling (camber, castor etc.) rather than just go for a stock set up. If you want it I wil see if I can find it and let you know.

--

April 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Getting the Mini sorted. Roll cage being powder coated and welded in. Adjustable camber brackets being fitted to the front. Camber, caster, tracking and corner weights being set to race settings. Mercury alloys being powder coated. Fuel tank and battery being repositioned. Plus a few other bits and pieces. Good to have a son in the motorsport business!

--

June 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan

Gary at April 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Brendan at April 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Brendan

Brendan,

There is a "trick" suspension set-up for improved handling (camber, castor etc.) rather than just go for a stock set up. If you want it I wil see if I can find it and let you know.

Cheers Gary that would be good to take a looksie at as another option maybe

June 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

pm me and I wil email you the article from the mag

--

June 22, 2013 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Wheels are now powder coated (see pics in album Mini 1330) and A008s are ordered. Battery is relocated and cut out switch fitted. Mounting plates are fabricated and welded in and roll-cage should be welded in shortly.

--

July 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Wheels and tyres are on. Corner weights are set. Camber, castor and toe in are set up correctly. Cage is welded in and a number of other little jobs are now done.

Handles really crisp now and turn in is awesome. Goes really well as well - have pulled 5500 in top and it wasnt flat out. (17mph per 1000rpm)

--

August 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Have managed to pick up a second hand (never been fitted) Carbon Fibre bonnet for £50 (saving of about £140) off ebay to replace the original that flew off at 60mph. Bit of fettling and a coat of paint and job's a goodun!

Once the doors are lightened and the Lexan windows bought and fitted I reckon its finally finished (for now anyway - theres always the head and cam and Webber to consider!!!!!)

--

September 8, 2013 at 4:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.