Mini Fixers

Restore Preserve Maintain

Forums

Forum Home > Members Minis > Ricky's Mini truck restoration

Ricky & Bianca

Hi to all, as it has been awhile since I have been up on the site. As some of you know that I had bought and shipped to the USA a 1976 Mini Pickup. Photos are uploaded with more to come! First impressions was that is was a solid truck and complete. I put a 1275 motor in it and got it running before shipping to the states. After stripping the truck, I started finding the usually "cover ups" thick putty, seam sealer and fibreglass covering up badly corroded areas and poorly done tack welds. Even the "new" patch panels that were already there were riveted and only tack welded in a couple of areas! It took the sandblaster 12 hours to get it blasted and primed to were you see it in the photos. In the end I am replacing every panel besides the top of the cab, firewall, part of the toe board. So far I have replaced the front inner wings, repaired the bulkhead crossmember, made my own panels to go between the bulkhead crossmember and inner wings where the shock mounts up to, and a partial panel where the gas pedal mounts. Next on the list is to replace the left and right toe board ends, both door steps and then the entire floor! I'll finish uploading photos in the next coule of days to show all that has been done up to now....enjoy.  

February 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Wow!! those photos!!!  Somebody has gone to a lot of trouble to do the repairs badly before you came along!! Bodge Bodge Bodge. Anyway it's in good hands now.  Your welding skills will be well used. Keep us informed as you go.

Oh - and I see you are bringing Josephine up properly.

February 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ricky & Bianca

Rest of the photos have been uploaded!! Nothing like using old ammo cans to make patch panels! I will upload and update as progress moves on.....

February 19, 2012 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

Respect!!!!! That's quite an undertaking. I look forward to seeing the final result:D

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

March 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Ricky, Whats the latest on the pickup?

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

September 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ricky & Bianca

Gary at September 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Ricky, Whats the latest on the pickup?

No status to report I'm afraid as I'm still in Afghanistan till next month and then off to germany for a small vacation. I'll be back on the pickup after the new year.

October 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ricky & Bianca

Finally got back in the garage last night to "restart" on the pickup. After spending 3 hrs lining the floor up properly on the sides, front, and back....the floor is about half way welded in. I still have to finish welding in the sides, then install the front subframe and align it properly in order to weld in the front of the floor. I have uploaded 3 pics to show the progress. I have to say it was a challenge to get the floor lined up properly and evenly so it is straight. It took the better part of those 3 hrs last night to get as far as I did. The welding was the easy part!!

February 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

I bet the previous owner would be amazed to see what you are doing (and maybe a little embarassed).

Great photos - very informative.

--

February 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Ricky & Bianca at February 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Finally got back in the garage last night to "restart" on the pickup. After spending 3 hrs lining the floor up properly on the sides, front, and back....the floor is about half way welded in. I still have to finish welding in the sides, then install the front subframe and align it properly in order to weld in the front of the floor. I have uploaded 3 pics to show the progress. I have to say it was a challenge to get the floor lined up properly and evenly so it is straight. It took the better part of those 3 hrs last night to get as far as I did. The welding was the easy part!!

Considering BL/Leyland/Rover never got a Mini lined up properly I am impressed you achieved it.

--

April 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan

Those vans and pickups are commanding massive money these days in mint order. There were two gorgeous ones at Malvern. The owner and his dad very really nice to talk to and i was shocked and stunned they did not win anything with either of them.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ricky & Bianca

Thanks for the encouragement! it takes alot of time but you can achieved a proper alignment of the panels. As the pickup was already a botch job to begin with I am happy with the results I have achieved. As for what they are demanding for a price in mint order, I have spent more then what they are currently being sold for, so if you are incline to own one...my advice would be to go ahead and spend the cash on the ones already done. But as I am planning on a few small modifcations, and additional options that was never offered from the factory anyway, I am ok with the direction I went......keep tuned as the weather has turned warm and I can get more time in the garage.

May 4, 2013 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brendan

I just looked at your pictures and i have to say credit and respect to you matey. It takes alot of time/effort like you said to do this amount of work nowadays. Ive been there in the past and done it too many times over but not anymore i have to say. I prefer to buy as mint as possible these days and just enjoy and improve upon as best i can. With the weather looking up its gonna be Mini time soon!!!!!!!

May 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Ricky, I trust you are well. Any update on the pickup?

--

October 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ricky & Bianca

Things are well, just been really busy...moved houses including the garage (what a long task that was as I had to pack up all the pickup, and tools to the new location) I've only made a little progress with the pickup. The inner wings are fully welded in, patched up the previous patch in the lower windshield scuttle panel, and patched a hole in the upper left corner of the passenger door post where it connects to the roof. I'll upload some new photos in the next few days. Otherwise Bianca and I have welcome a second tiny minifixer to our family so time with the pickup will be a little harder to come by...but I'll get it done.

November 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ricky & Bianca

Sorry to all...it's been a long while since I've posted anything .....the pickup is complete and in primer!! I have retired out of the military and have moved back with the family to Bianca's hometown of Beudingen, Germany.  I have uploaded a few photos to show the some of the steps up to where the pickup stands now 

December 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.