Mini Fixers

Restore Preserve Maintain

Forums

Forum Home > CMCT 2012 > 2012 Tour Write-up

Gary

The 2012 Cotswold Classic Mini Tour

Despite all the recent rain, a sunny summers day welcomed seventy four classic Minis to the Mini Fixers annual Cotswold Classic Mini Tour from Fairford Leisure Centre to The Trout Inn and a barbeque at Lechlade on the 29th of July 2012.

Mini Fixers are a club based at The Trout Inn in Lechlade devoted to the Restoration, Preservation and Maintenance of the Classic Mini.

This annual event, in aid of Sobell House Hospice Charity, is a mystery tour open to any owner of a classic Mini, and travels along twisty, narrow and remote country roads and through quaint little Cotswold villages in the glorious Cotswold countryside.

One up on last year it included negotiating two (shallow) fords and this year the halfway stop off point was Broadway Tower, a Victorian Folly at one of the highest points in The Cotswolds. At the tower there was also the possibility to visit a restored, underground nuclear bunker.

A three mile section through the private grounds of a country house estate, once home to the largest collection of books and manuscripts in the country, showed how the other half live compared to the small but quaint Cotswold-stone farm workers cottages in many of the surrounding sleepy villages.

A fundamental part of the tour route book is a series of notes on points of interest along the way and the Cotswolds is full of history and legend to interest, intrigue and amuse the intrepid traveller and this year included, amongst others, information on the oldest stained glass windows in the country in Fairford Church buried in a field for protection in WWII, RIAT, the largest military air tattoo in the country, the magnificent 4th Century Chedworth Roman Villa (accidentally discovered in 1864 by a gamekeeper digging for a ferret) and the mysterious moving standing stones (according to legend anyway!) around Lower Swell.

For the 2012 tour the club was pleased to welcome representatives from the two national leading Classic Mini publications as well as two enthusiasts from Holland to accompany all the other Mini enthusiasts on the run.

A trophy was presented to Matthew Fisher for his Mk2 Mini voted best at the show by his fellow participants, and in recognition of their enthusiasm a prize was also presented to Pascal & Elen from The Netherlands who as part of their holiday in England joined us on the Tour.

The 70 mile round trip was again a resounding success and raised £618 for Sobell House Hospice Charity. Mini Fixers would like to formally thank all participants for their contribution.

To see photographs of the event and more information about the Mini Fixers see www.minifixers.co.uk

On the 23rd of August a number of Minifixers drove to Sobelle House in Oxford to present the 2012 Cotswold Classic Tour cheque to Kevin Game of Sobell House Hospice Charity. The club was also pleased to meet the charity's Chief Executive Diane Gardner who explained her son had a classic Mini. Diane and Kevin were pleased to receive the cheque and several photographs of the presentation (and Minifixers just stood around talking Mini – or should that be Moke, Jan?) are posted on the Minifixers website. This year raised £105 more than last year. Another successful tour.

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

August 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

Nice right-up Gary.... and don't forget... a Moke is a Mini - someone just forgot to fit the doors, boot and roof:lol: I drive a Moke cos' I don't fit in a Saloon;)

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

August 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Most of us drive a particular car for a particular reason but because you cant get a drink is a new one on me!

Saloon Definitions from Wikipedia:

a historical style of American bar.

Bar (establishment), a venue for alcoholic beverage consumption.

A room in a traditional British public house (pub).

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

August 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

LOL - I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy:lol:

OK - rephrase.... I drive a B because I do not fit in a 2S a U a W or a V..... that rhymes8)

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

August 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.