Mini Fixers

Restore Preserve Maintain

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Member requires guidance !!!!!

Gary

To assist a club member please post what colour you think a Moke should be painted.

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

August 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

As the Moke was intended to be military - I like green. 

What colour did the Australian military do theirs?

--

One eye in the rear-view mirror, full speed into the curve, the engine running smoother than ever:lol:

August 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

My original "traditional" leaning was to suggest Green. Having looked on the interweb thingy however I now like Red (and Squadran Blue) (and yellow) (and Orange). Red would look good with black bumpers etc. Blue with lots of Chrome. Yellow with Silver or Black and Orange with Black. Sorry if that's no help.

--

August 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Rob at August 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Scroll to the bottom of the below link to see an Australian Military Moke

http://www.mokesinc.org/index.php?topic=396.0

Colour could be Olive Drab.

The Australian Civvie Moke was apparently available in:

Home on the Orange, Country Cream, Oh Fudge, Hairy Lime and then later Scarlet O’Hara and Am Eye Blue to name but a few.

--

August 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

General perception - as far as many Moke drivers are concerned - is that Mokes are fun cars and therefore it's OK to be creative. I personally feel that early (and generally original) English Mokes do look best in Spruce Green up to late 1966 and thereafter Spruce or White (OEW, Snowberry, or brilliant) until end production in 1968. Little wheeler Aussie Mokes may have had a few more colours, but mainly greens greys and beiges as far as I can tell. Production stopped in UK and Aus in 1968. Thereafter, it seems to be 'free for all'. 1969  colours like Damask were introduced with the 13" wheel Mokes and things got really civvi in 1975 with the colours mentioned by Gary. Portuguese Mokes in the 80's were a bit boring in colour with in my view cheap looking blues, yellows etc. More exotic colours were introduced in the Cagiva period.

Personally... if you like it, it's OK. By 1967, most green and white English Mokes were probably repainted in some psychedelic colour with bright flowers painted all over them. My 1964 will stay Spruce, but Fud Moke.....? May well do the Carry on Camping scheme

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

August 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Gary at August 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Rob at August 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Scroll to the bottom of the below link to see an Australian Military Moke

http://www.mokesinc.org/index.php?topic=396.0

Colour could be Olive Drab.

The Australian Civvie Moke was apparently available in:

Home on the Orange, Country Cream, Oh Fudge, Hairy Lime and then later Scarlet O’Hara and Am Eye Blue to name but a few.

I love the little trailer. Don't recall seeing one, or maybe did and didn't realise the relevance.

--

One eye in the rear-view mirror, full speed into the curve, the engine running smoother than ever:lol:

August 15, 2012 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

Looking at the pictures in the link, the Moke is a 'big wheeler'. From there on during the Australian production, Mokes had unique and longer radius arms allowing the fitting of 13" wheels. The Moke in question has a fixed grille like the English. I'm not sure when exactly two part fronts were introduced, but I think irt was mid 70's The colour looks original and could have been Sierra Beige

--

August 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

There's a pre 76 Oz Moke on Ebay at the moment in what appears to be 'Hairy Lime'. I know John is after one as a project. Beware though, a 'proper' repair on this one will require the panniers rebuilding as the correct floor panels have a lip that is welded to the inside of the pannier. The stated 'good' metal is in fact not there. THe floor panels in the photos are cover panels under the fuel tank and are bolt on. They are not floor panels. Correct floor panels can be obtained from M-parts or Cooper cars Southwest. Most Mokes were repaired in the past by putting sheet steel floors in and welding them to the outside surface of the pannier inner panel. This was because once you take the panniers apart, you effectively have to take the whole shell apart. A suitable / OK repair would be to get the floor panels and weld a larger lip to them that can be welded to the outside surface, but that depends on how good the panniers are in the first place. Car is in Oxford so worth a gander. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-mini-moke-RHD-Australian-import-13-wheels-1977-/261082648515?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc9bd0fc3

--

August 16, 2012 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

I hope John is reading this!!

--

August 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

Perhaps a call or PM? Would be happy to take a look with John, just to help estimate the task in hand.

--

August 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

JanZ Moke at August 16, 2012 at 6:07 AM

There's a pre 76 Oz Moke on Ebay at the moment in what appears to be 'Hairy Lime'. I know John is after one as a project. Beware though, a 'proper' repair on this one will require the panniers rebuilding as the correct floor panels have a lip that is welded to the inside of the pannier. The stated 'good' metal is in fact not there. THe floor panels in the photos are cover panels under the fuel tank and are bolt on. They are not floor panels. Correct floor panels can be obtained from M-parts or Cooper cars Southwest. Most Mokes were repaired in the past by putting sheet steel floors in and welding them to the outside surface of the pannier inner panel. This was because once you take the panniers apart, you effectively have to take the whole shell apart. A suitable / OK repair would be to get the floor panels and weld a larger lip to them that can be welded to the outside surface, but that depends on how good the panniers are in the first place. Car is in Oxford so worth a gander. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-mini-moke-RHD-Australian-import-13-wheels-1977-/261082648515?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc9bd0fc3

Didn't sell then.

Wonder if he'd take a silly offer just to move it on? Might be worth a phone call.

--

September 14, 2012 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

Gary at September 14, 2012 at 4:30 AM

JanZ Moke at August 16, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Didn't sell then.

Wonder if he'd take a silly offer just to move it on? Might be worth a phone call.

I gather he had 3... I suggested taking a peek at the place with John. Think we should go. There may be a bargain to be had.....

--

September 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

If I had the cash I would most certainly contact him. As you say "there may be a bargain to be had" and nothing to lose even if he says no.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

--

September 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Gary at September 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

If I had the cash I would most certainly contact him. As you say "there may be a bargain to be had" and nothing to lose even if he says no.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Totally agree - Go for it - if you don't ask you will spend the rest of your life saying 'if only'

--

September 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

This week? I'm OK except Wednesday

--

September 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.