Mini Fixers

Restore Preserve Maintain

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dunlop SP44 Weathermaster tyres

JanZ Moke

Some fellow MIni and Moke drivers and me have been trying to find out if and where the original 10" Dunlop SP 44 Weathermaster (145/80 r 10) might still be available. These were fitted as optional extras to 60s Coopers, S and Mokes for extra traction etc. Nowadays I guess they could still serve as classic race/rallye tyres, but they also look super cool and in my opinion suit a Cooper or Moke better than the Yokohama AO32r Sorry, have searched for a Cooper S with SP44 picture (Paddy H used them) but detail wasn't clear enough.

The Vintage tyre company http://www.vintagetyres.com/ is looking into reproducing these tyres. Currently they are working on a volume of 500 tyres at which they can deliver a unit price of £130 +vat They have requested that we indicate interest so that they can consider a larger and therefore cheaper run.

If you are interested, send a mail to [email protected] indicating your interest.

Janz

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

February 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

Post from "theminiforum" dated 3 August 2012

Providing there is sufficient demand (approx 200 need to be pre-sold so 400 tyres can be made), Vintage Tyres will fund a mould in order to produce the 145R10 SP44 in two compounds (for both road and competition use). If they go ahead it will be a very limited batch and may not be repeated. The retail price would be £132 + VAT per tyre. (Discount of 5% for MCR members). All interested parties are asked to send a £10 deposit per tyre to Vintage tyres before the end of August 2012. If sufficient orders are received the tyres will be made during this winter. If not, unfortunately the project will have to be mothballed and all deposits will be returned.

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

August 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JanZ Moke

I do fancy a set. They were optional on English Mokes from 64 to 68 - mind you the heritage cert for mine shows it delivered in Chelsea with normal nylon cord tyres. The 1963 Morris Cooper brochure I have doesn't list it as an option - only a radio!?. At £520 for a set, I guess it is quite a purist thing... but then, researching a bit further I believe the SP44 (radial 145/10) wasn't available in the 60's. It was the CW44 (5.20/10 cross ply) that would have been fitted.

--

Get a life, get a Mini... or a Moke:lol:

August 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary

114 people have looked at this post. If there is that much interest in these tyres (and thats just on this website) it surely must be a runner for Vintage Tyres

--

Got a life ..... Got a Mini ...... Re-living my youth!!

September 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob

Unfortunately looking is not buying, but yes once it breaks the initial production worthwhile barrier they will sell.

--

One eye in the rear-view mirror, full speed into the curve, the engine running smoother than ever:lol:

September 2, 2012 at 5:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.